Last Updated on January 28, 2015.
1. Information We Collect and How We Use It
We may store the information you submit to or through the Site, as well as information we collect in connection with your use of the Site.
We use the information to fulfill your requests, provide the Site’s functionality, improve the Site’s quality, personalize your experience, track usage of the Site, provide feedback to businesses that are listed on the Site, display relevant advertising, provide customer support, message you, back up our systems and allow for disaster recovery, enhance the security of the Site, and comply with legal obligations.
Among the information we collect, please note:
- Account Information: If you create an account on Novnis, we may store and use your full name, email address, zip code and other information you may provide with your account, such as your gender and birth date. Your first name and last initial, as well as any photo you submit through the registration process, will be publicly displayed as part of your account profile. You can modify some of the information associated with your account here. If you feel that an unauthorized account has been created depicting you or your likeness, you can request its removal here.
- Public Content: The information that you post to the Site is intended for public consumption, including your reviews, tips, photos, check-ins, comments, likes, bookmarks, friends, lists, compliments, and account profile. We may display this information on the Site, share it with businesses, and further distribute it to a wider audience through third party sites and services.
- Contacts: You can invite your friends to join the Site by providing their contact information, or by allowing us to use your address book from your computer, mobile device, or other sites. If you invite a friend to join and connect with you on the Site, we may transmit your friend’s contact information to Novnis long enough to process your requests.
- Communications: When you sign up for an account, you are opting in to receive emails from other Novnis users, businesses, and Novnis itself. You can manage your email preferences here, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative or legal notices from Novnis. If you exchange messages with others through the Site, we may store them in order to process and deliver them, allow you to manage them, and investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site. If you send information from the Site to your phone via SMS text message, we may log your phone number, phone carrier, and the date and time that the message was processed. Carriers may charge recipients for texts that they receive.
- Transactional Information: If you make reservations or purchases through the Site, we may collect and store certain information about you to process your requests and populate forms for future transactions, such as your phone number, address, email, and credit card information. This information may be shared with third parties who help process and fulfill your requests. When you submit credit card numbers, we encrypt that information using industry standard technology. If you write reviews about businesses with which you transact through the Site, we may publicly display the fact that you transacted with those businesses.
- Site Activity: We may store information about your use of the Site, such as your search activity, the pages you view, the date and time of your visit, and the businesses you call using our mobile applications. We also may store information that your computer or mobile device provides to us in connection with your use of the Site, such as your browser type, type of computer or mobile device, browser language, IP address, mobile carrier, unique device identifier, location, and requested and referring URLs.
Types of Cookies used on the Site include:
|Category of Use||Explanation|
|Processes||Intended to make the Site work in the way you expect it to. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have already signed up for an account.|
|Preferences||Intended to remember information about how you prefer the site to behave and look. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have declined to allow us to use your phone’s geolocation data.|
|Notifications||Intended to allow notice of information or options that we think could improve your use of the site. For example, we use a Cookie that allows us to stop showing you the signup notification if you have already seen it.|
|Advertising||Intended to make advertising more relevant to users and more valuable to advertisers. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us if you have recently clicked on an ad.|
|Analytics||Intended to help us understand how visitors use the Site. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us how our search suggestions correlate to your interaction with the search page.|
It may be possible to disable some (but not all) Cookies through your device or browser settings, but doing so may affect your ability to use the Site. The method for disabling cookies may vary by device and browser, but can usually be found in preferences or security settings.
3. Third Parties
We may share information about you with third parties as follows:
- Service Providers: Some of the services that are offered through the Site, such as dinner reservations and food delivery, may be provided by third-party providers. We also outsource some of Novnis’ functions to third-party providers, such as technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, payment processing functions, and other services. We may share information from or about you with these third-party providers so that they can perform their services or complete your requests.
- Aggregate Information: We may share user information in the aggregate with third parties, such as advertisers and content distributors. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertisements.
- Businesses on Novnis: We may share information from or about you (such as your age and gender) and your use of the Site (such as which businesses you bookmark or call) with businesses on Novnis. You may adjust your settings to increase or decrease the amount of information we share. You can view these settings and find more details about what information may be shared here.
- Investigations: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure is (a) reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; (b) helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site; or (c) protect our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public.
- Links: The Site may contain links to unaffiliated third party websites. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on all such third party websites.
- Facebook and Twitter: If you are logged into Facebook, and you access but are not logged into the Site, we may receive information from Facebook to make it easier for you to create an account on the Site and show you relevant content from your Facebook friends. This information personalizes your experience and helps you create a Novnis account. You can also connect your Novnis account to your accounts on third party services like Facebook or Twitter, in which case we may collect and store information identifying your account with the third party service. We use the information to help you connect and share public content with your friends and followers. You can manage these settings here.
4. Controlling Your Personal Data
Other users may be able to identify you, or associate you with your account if you include personal information in the content you post publicly. You can reduce the risk of being personally identified by using the Site pseudonymously, though doing so could detract from the credibility of your contributions to the Site. Users can also use the Member Search feature to find one another based on their names or email addresses. You can opt-out of this feature here.
Please also note that the messages you send or receive using the Site are only private to the extent that both you and the sender/recipient keep them private. For example, we do not have any control over whether a recipient of one of your messages publicly posts it or its contents. Similarly, Novnis may also access such messages in the course of investigations relating to Site use.
5. Data Retention and Account Termination
The Site is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 14. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 14. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us here. If we become aware that a child under 14 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
8. Dispute Resolution
The information we obtain from or about you may be processed and stored in the United States, which may provide for different data protection rules than the country in which you reside. We comply with the EU & Swiss Safe Harbor Privacy Frameworks as set forth by the United States Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union and Switzerland. We have certified that we adhere to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. We will respond to requests relating to personal data within 30 days. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification, please visit http://export.gov/safeharbor.